Planning your next holidays to Vietnam and vacations in Cambodia? This post covers tips and advice for an unforgettable multi-country adventure in Vietnam and Cambodia.
By combining Vietnam and Cambodia into one epic trip, you’ll experience stories from mainland Southeast Asia. Use our expert guides to design the ideal Southeast Asia getaway creating lifelong memories. Let’s plan your best tour of Vietnam and Cambodia today!
I. Visa Requirements
Obtaining the proper visa is essential for visiting both Vietnam and Cambodia. Requirements vary depending on your nationality, so be sure to research in advance.
Obtaining a Vietnam visa, either the traditional visa or the newer e-visa option
For Vietnam, most Western passport holders can apply for an e-visa online. The e-Visa allows for 30-day entry on arrival by air or land. Be sure to apply at least 3 business days before your trip as processing can take up to 5 days. Have a valid passport, recent photo, and payment method ready when applying.
If you’ll be entering Vietnam by land, a traditional visa may still be needed. Check the Vietnamese immigration website for the latest details on visa exemptions based on your nationality.
Eligibility requirements for the e-Visa
Cambodia also offers convenient e-visas that can be obtained online in just a few minutes. A single-entry tourist visa costs $30 and is valid for 30 days. Print and bring the approval along with your passport for immigration on arrival.
Be aware some nationalities still require visas on arrival in Cambodia. In that case, have the necessary payment and documents organized prior to the land border or airport.
Taking care of visas ahead of time gives you peace of mind and ensures a smooth entry into both amazing countries. With the proper visas in hand, you’ll be able to maximize your time exploring all that Vietnam and Cambodia have to offer.
II. Travel Essentials
In addition to visas, a few other items are essential to prepare before arriving in Vietnam and Cambodia.
1. Travel Insurance
Be sure to purchase comprehensive travel insurance that covers medical evacuation and repatriation of remains. Vietnam and Cambodia have seen risks such as flooding, political unrest, and traffic accidents. Affordable plans are available from providers like World Nomads.
Pre-book a shuttle service from major airports like Hanoi, Ho Chi Minh City, Phnom Penh or Siem Reap. Look for options on booking sites like GetYourGuide that offer set prices.
Once in the country, download rideshare apps like Grab to easily hail taxis between destinations. Motorbike tours are also popular for exploring rural areas or beating traffic in big cities.
3. Banking & Money
ATMs are widely available but also carry some cash in both US dollars and the local currencies, Vietnamese dong and Cambodian riel. Most establishments accept credit cards but it’s still a good idea to be prepared with cash.
Purchase a local SIM card at the airport upon arrival or eSIM for affordable data. Apps like Google Translate can also assist with language barriers. A few common phrases in Vietnamese and Khmer are still useful to learn.
With these essentials in order, you’ll be well prepared to navigate destinations throughout Vietnam and Cambodia with ease. Be sure to pack light and focus on the experiences that await you in these memorable countries.
III. Seasons and Planning
Vietnam and Cambodia experience distinct seasonal weather depending on the region. Advanced planning will help you choose the best timing and create an ideal itinerary.
1. Seasons in Vietnam
- North: Winter (Dec-Feb) can be cold and wet. Spring/Fall (Mar-May, Sept-Nov) are moderate.
- Central/South: Hot season (Mar-May) sees humidity and rain. Milder weather (June-Aug, Dec-Jan).
2. Seasons in Cambodia
- Northwest: Cool and dry weather November – February. Hot and rainy season May – October.
- South/Coast: Tropical climate year-round. June – October is wet.
3. Best Times to Visit
- Vietnam: March-May and September-November to avoid crowds and hot weather.
- Cambodia: November-February for dry, cool conditions. March – May also good.
4. Itinerary Planning
- Allow 2 weeks minimum to get a taste of both countries.
- Fly between destinations to maximize time when visiting multiple regions.
- Build flexible travel days for unpredictable weather.
With seasonal awareness, you can experience each destination at its best while fitting attractions around optimal months.
IV. Budget and Expenses
Vietnam and Cambodia offer outstanding value, but costs can vary significantly depending on your preferred activities and accommodations. Here are some general expense categories to factor into your budget:
- Internal flights within Vietnam or Cambodia: $50-150 USD
- International flights to/from Southeast Asia: $500-1000+
- Budget hostels: $5-15 USD per night
- Mid-range hotels: $20-50 USD
- Luxury hotels/resorts: $100+
- Street food/local markets: $3-7 per meal
- Casual sit-down restaurants: $5-15
- Upscale dining: $15-30+
- Major temples/museums: $5-15 entry
- Local tours/day trips: $25-50
- Multi-day activities: $50-150
- Local buses: $5-15 per long-distance route
- Trains: $10-25
- Taxis/Grab: $5-15 per short ride
For a two-week trip allowing modest spending, budget $30-50 USD per day total. Splurge weeks could comfortably run $75-100 USD daily. Be sure to save receipts for any travel insurance claims.
V. Packing Tips
Vietnam and Cambodia’s tropical climates require strategic packing for comfort and versatility. Here are some recommendations for a holiday to Vietnam and Cambodia:
- Light shirts, shorts/skirts for hot weather
- Sweater/jacket for AC’ed places or cooler evenings
- Comfortable shoes that can get wet/dirty
- Swimwear for beaches in Vietnam or water adventures
- Biodegradable soap, shampoo, toothpaste & menstrual products
- Sunscreen, hat, sunglasses for sun protection
- Insect repellent for areas with mosquitoes
3. Other Supplies
- Adapter/converter plugs for charging electronics
- Small daypack or a cross-body bag for essentials while out
- Water bottle for staying hydrated
- Foldable umbrella or rain poncho for Southeast Asia weather
- Camera, battery banks, extra memory cards
- Medications like diarrhea tablets or first aid kit
- Ear plugs/eye mask if concerned about nighttime noises
Pack light so you can easily explore on foot or transport your bag as needed. Check baggage limits if flying domestic routes. Layer your clothing to suit evolving temperatures.
We’ve outlined everything you need to plan an amazing holidays to Vietnam and Cambodia. Whether a 2-week Vietnam tour or a month-long adventure, our customized itineraries make the most of your time.
As a specialist in Southeast Asia travel for over 15 years, Threeland Travel designs memorable trips off the beaten path. Contact us to start planning your dream vacations in cambodia and Vietnam filled with local experiences, hidden gems, and lifelong memories
Vietnam and Cambodia offer rich cultures and stories waiting to be discovered. Let our expert team craft your perfect Southeast Asian vacation, guaranteed to exceed expectations. Reach out today to unlock the best of Vietnam and beyond!